More Elk Recipes:
- 1 lb. (450 g) elk sirloin steak
- ½ cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) packed brown sugar
- 4 tsp. (25 ml) cooking oil
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) garlic powder or 1 clove minced
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ginger powder
- Wooden skewers (soaked in water)
- Slice steak about 1/8 inch (1/2cm) thick to make long slices. If meat is partially frozen, it is much easier to do.
- In bowl, with tight-fitting cover, mix soy sauce, sugar, oil, garlic powder and ginger powder. Put meat in bowl. Press down to cover with marinade. Marinate at least ½ hour.
- Thread meat on skewers accordion-fashion.
- Broil or grill only until medium rare.
- Serve or store.
Storing & Re-heating:
- To store, cover in the refrigerator.
- To reheat, pile on a baking sheet and heat, in pre-heated 400˚F (200˚C) oven, for about 5 minutes or until hot.
Serves about 8, as an appetizer.
Fast Elk Fajitas
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450g) elk sirloin steak
- 2 cups (500 ml) sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red or green pepper, cut in strips
- 4 green onions, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inch, 25 cm)
- ½ cup (125 ml) salsa
- Wrap the tortillas in foil & warm in the oven.
- Slice steak into ¼ inch (1/2 cm) strips. If meat is partially frozen, it is much easier to do.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add elk strips & stir to coat. Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms, pepper strips and green onion in the oil in a non-stick skillet for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a bowl.
- Stir-fry the elk strips in a non-stick skillet for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the elk mixture to the vegetables. Divide between the 8 warmed tortillas (1/2 cup, 125 ml per tortilla). Put 1 Tbsp (15 ml) salsa on each. Fold up the bottom & then fold in the 2 sides, envelope style, leaving the top open.
Teriyaki Marinade for Elk Steak
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) liquid honey
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) ground ginger
- Combine all ingredients & simmer for 5 minutes. When cooled, pour over elk steak in a glass container.
- Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Grill or broil steak until rare or medium-rare. Don’t overcook.