More Elk Recipes:
Elk Burgers with Caramelized Onion
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Pinch each salt & pepper
- 4 thin slices Gouda cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 tsp light mayonnaise
- 4 slices tomato
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp dry red wine
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 lb (450g) ground elk
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, thyme, sugar, salt & pepper, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and golden, about 25 minutes. Discard thyme, set onions aside.
- Elk burgers: Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine bacon, bread crumbs, garlic, wine, mustard, salt & pepper. Mix in elk just until combined. Shape into four ¾ inch (2 cm) patties.
- Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid & grill turning once, until digital thermometer inserted into the centre reads 165˚F (74˚C) about 14 minutes. Place cheese on each patty. Cover & cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Spread each cut side of hamburger buns with ½ tsp mayonnaise. Sandwich tomato, burger & caramelized onions between buns.
From Canadian Living Magazine
Low Fat Elk Loaf
- 1 lb (454 g) ground elk
- 1 cup (250 ml) jar chunky salsa
- 2 egg whites, beaten (or 1 Eggbeater)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cooked rice
Mix all ingredients well. Shape into a loaf and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.