More Elk Recipes:
Elk Smokie & Apple Pasta
- ½ - 450g pkg penne
- 142g baby spinach,(about 8 cups)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 elk smokies, cubed
- ½ cup 10% cream
- 1 unpeeled red apple, chopped
- ¼ finely grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package instructions, but omitting salt, until al dente, 6-8 minutes. Drain. Return pasta to pot. Stir in spinach. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in sausage & cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until flavour develops, about 2 min. Stir into pasta along with apple & cheese. Serve immediately.
Elk Smokie Cabbage & Potato Soup
- 1 lb (450 g) elk smokies, cut into bite-sized pieces (take off skin, if you wish)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups meat or vegetable stock
- 1 lb. red potatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Warm olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Brown sausage lightly then transfer using a slotted spoon to a separate dish.
- Add onions carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage and garlic andsaute a few minutes more.
- Add stock, potatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, cooked sausage and stir to combine.
- Heat until soup comes to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Serve warm.